When it comes to selling a home, we know things can get stressful. Be sure to follow these tips around the house to help the process move as quickly and easily as possible!
Easy as 1, 2, 3!
1. Open the draperies, pull up the shades and let in the light.
2. Create a positive mood. Turn on all the lights, day or night, and install higher wattage light bulbs to show your home brightly.
3. Remove clutter from each room to visually enlarge them.
4. If you have a fireplace, highlight it in your decorating.
5. Keep your home dusted and vacuumed at all times.
6. Replace the carpet if it does not clean up well.
7. Have a family “game plan” to get the home in order quickly if necessary.
9. Lightly spray the home with air freshener so that it has time to diffuse before the buyer arrives.
10. Put family photos in storage.
11. Improve traffic flow through every room by removing unnecessary furniture.
12. Create the feeling of a spacious entry area by using decorative accents and removing unnecessary furniture.
13. Putty over and paint any nail holes or other mishaps in the walls.
14. Paint all interior walls a neutral color to brighten the home and make it look bigger.
15. Repair or replace any loose or damaged wallpaper.
16. Clean all light bulbs and light fixtures to brighten the home.
17. Wash all windows inside and out.
18. Use plants in transitional areas of your home.
19. Make the most of your attic’s potential.
20. Remove and/ or hide excess extension cords or exposed wires.
21. Open doors to areas you want potential buyers to see such as walk-in closets, pantries, etc.
22. Remove all smoke and pet odors.
23. Repair or replace banisters and handrails.
In the Kitchen
24. Microwave a small dish of vanilla twenty minutes before a showing and place it in an out-of-the-way place.
25. Highlight an eat-in area in your kitchen with a table set for dinner.
26. The kitchen and bathrooms should always be spotlessly clean.
27. Expand your counter space by removing small appliances.
In the Bedrooms
28. Create a master suite effect in your decorating.
29. depersonalize bedrooms and decorate in a neutral scheme.
30. Make sure that the beds are made and the linens are clean.
31. Organize your closets, remove unnecessary items and put them in storage.
In the Bathrooms
32. Do not leave towels around and wipe down the sinks and shower area after each use.
33. Re-caulk the tub if the caulk is not sparkling white.
34. Repair or replace broken tiles in the shower/tub.
35. Replace shower curtains and keep them clean.
36. Put out fresh towels and decorative soaps.
37. Keep the yard raked and mowed at all times.
38. Use flowering plants to dress up the yard, walkway and patio.
39. Remove all toys, bicycles, tools, unsightly patio furniture, and trash from the yard.
40. Porches, steps, verandas, balconies, and other extensions of the home should be kept uncluttered, swept and in good condition.
41. Paint all entrance doors.
42. Make sure the garage door opens easily. Repair and repaint if necessary.
43. Clean and shine all hardware and accessories indoors and out (door knobs, knockers, lamps, mailbox, address numbers, etc.)
44. Trees and shrubs should be trimmed and pruned.
45. Be sure the front doorbell is in good working order.
46. Use a doormat.
47. Be sure the front door and screen door works perfectly.
Selling your own home is a big step! With Melton Realty Partners, the #1 Keller Williams Realty Augusta Partner team, we’re with you every single step of the way. Contact us today to make your selling experience a great one!